Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Date (part 2)

...when the door closed, I started thinking how I could calm my nerves and get through the next couple of hours (she said she would spend about an hour with him at the bar). I tried to check out sports scores...no luck, tried to do some work...no luck, just couldn't get my mind off what might happen that night. I cracked open a beer and then the phone rang, at first I thought "oh crap, it's her family or friends calling and I'll have to make up some story about where she is". It was her, she was stuck in some terrible traffic. Since she had gotten a late start, and was now stuck in total gridlock traffic, she was going to be really late for her date. I offered to call the guy to tell him she was going to be late (we had his cell number), but she didn't want me to call...another interesting sign of how she really wanted to do this herself. I suggested she call the bar and ask them to pass a message along for her, she took my advice and about 20min later called me again to let me know the traffic was starting to clear and now she was on her way for real.

I was having a hard enough time trying to figure out how to occupy myself for 2hrs, but now it was going to be at least 3hrs because of the delay, talk about torture! There was also a very small part of me that wondered if this would mean the end of the date, either because she got cold feet while sitting in traffic or he doesn't get the message and leaves the bar, thinking she's a flake. Well about 10min later she calls me again, her car is parked and she's walking to the bar. I can hear the clicking of her heels as she's making her way down the street, my mind is racing thinking about people seeing her on the street, well dressed and having no idea that she's going in to meet another man for a drink. She tells me she's at the door and going in, she'll call me when the date is done....

(to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment